Tuesday 24 September 2013

Time to hit the panic button

Today has had essentially no redeeming features: the weather has been awful (windy, rainy, cold and grey with no let-up); our review session this afternoon descended into a four-way shouting match (of which, I'll concede, I was one voice) and was henceforth tenser than a Hitchcock thriller; and we are a relatively far cry from where we ought to be by now in the editing process. As I had the smallest sections to edit (not exactly by choice), I am up to date and have been desperately offering help to others. It will come together in the end, but the next 48 hours are going to be a stressful bout of frantic messaging, angry requests, and furious work in front of a computer for all of us.
Work is far less fun when you don't have a boyfriend to offer constructive advice/listen to your whining at the end of the day.
Yesterday was a better day. After German class, about eight of us went to Mustafa's Gemüse Kebaps kiosk next to Mehringdamm U-Bahn. Since they're reputed to be the best kebabs in Berlin - a city full of good Turkish food - we went with high expectations. We'd timed it to avoid one of Mustafa's many busy periods; waiting times of up to ninety minutes are not uncommon. However, our queue was tiny and we were served in fifteen minutes. Although the kebabs were delicious, filled with meat, roasted vegetables, salad and homemade sauce and sprinkled with feta cheese, I'm not sure I would have been willing to wait an hour and a half for it.
After a busy afternoon of work, my housemate decided that we deserved a sweet after-dinner treat. We headed out to a waffle place that Google had reliably informed me opened until late. This wasn't the impression we got from the staff member who was in the process of closing up at 7:30. We retreated back toward Rosenthaler Platz and stopped in at Café Fleury, a charming little French café with retro 60s furniture and extremely good cake and tarts.
Debated going for a naan pizza for dinner tonight, but since I a) am running out of money and b) could probably do with eating a little more sensibly, I may have dinner at home tonight. When I was cold and soaked waiting for a bus earlier this afternoon, the thought of going for waffles was extremely tempting; however, I have held my nerve and resisted as it was a trip my housemate and I wanted to make together. Despite my addiction to all things sweet and doughy, I am better than petty deception.
This time, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment